Chapman Hill Families,
Your student is encouraged to dress up like a book character for Read Across America Day on Thursday March 2nd. Students will need to be able to name the book their character is in , and we also welcome them to bring their book to school. Please no masks, nor full face paint. Students need to be able to do all of their regular school activities while dressed up, including PE and recess. Please keep in mind shoes and dressing appropriately for the weather. We are excited about all of the activities scheduled for this special day as we celebrate reading here at Chapman Hill.
Read Across America Committee
Changes made to the school calendar because of snow make-up days require a small change to the spring conference schedule. Conferences will be held after school and in the evenings on Wednesday, March 22, and Thursday, March 23, 2017. There will not be daytime conferences this spring. Schools will contact parents to schedule conferences. Not all students will need a parent-teacher conference, so not all parents will be contacted. However, parents may still request a conference if desired. Please contact your school office with any questions and for more information.
Registration for fall kindergarten programs in Salem-Keizer Public Schools opens on Tuesday, February 21, 2017. Students who turn five on or before September 10, 2017, are eligible to register. All elementary schools in Salem-Keizer offer free, full-day kindergarten.
Parents are asked to register students soon to help the district prepare an adequate number of classrooms, supplies, etc. for the fall.
How to register
To register, please visit the school and pick up a registration packet. If you’re unsure what school is assigned to serve your residence address, please visit the district’s school finder page: www.salemkeizer.org/content/boundary-information
Parents must complete and sign the forms in the registration packet (registration form, home language survey, immunization form) and provide:
1. Proof of residence address. Examples of documents accepted include a copy of a utility bill, driver’s license with current address, copy of rental agreement, etc.
2. Original birth certificate for the child. The school will make a copy and return the original to the parent.
Help your student get ready
Parents can help students get ready for kindergarten by helping them:
· Hold a pencil, crayons and scissors correctly
· Practice writing his/her name
· Learn the ABC’s and how to count to twenty
· Name and identify basic shapes, such as square, triangle and circle
· Learn how to take turns and share with others
· How to use the bathroom and wash hands independently
Please contact your school with questions about registering for kindergarten.
If you are needing to get a message to your student, please let the school know before 3:00 PM. We are unable to get messages to students after 3:00 PM. The end of the day is often very hectic and we would hate for a child not to get a message and become stranded.
The Elementary, Middle, and High school In-District Transfer window is March 1-31.
If you're wanting to have your child enrolled in a school outside of your resident school attendance area for the 2017-18 school year, please don't miss this deadline.
Make-up days for snow closures announced
Due to inclement weather, Salem-Keizer students have missed four full school days, had one early release and one late start this school year.
Time at school is essential to student success. To make up for some lost instructional time, the district has decided to make changes to the school calendar.
Three school days have been added to the calendar:
· Thursday, March 23, 2017, will be a school day for all students. Parent-Teacher conferences will take place after school and in the evening.
· Thursday and Friday, June 15 and 16, 2017, will be school days for all students except graduating seniors. High schools will develop a revised schedule for second semester finals.
Dates of high school graduation ceremonies will not change.
Please be aware that additional calendar changes could be made if there is more inclement weather.